Breeding and genetics of forest trees
Here are links to presentations and other web matters, which may be relevant for those, who like to improve their knowledge or search for something about tree breeding, forest genetics and seed orchards. This is Dag Lindgren´s web. Dag Lindgren (Dag.Lindgren@slu.se ) is retired since 2009, but still maintains this web sometime.
* An environmental page “naturvårdssida” (in Swenglish). De viktigaste bidragen är en beräkning av det observerade utdöendet av de mest hotade arterna i ”rödlistan” mellan 2000 och 2015, samt en analys av den (låga) utdöenderisken för skogsarter.
* A rewiew about oak genetics by Gösta Eriksson (2016) at http://eprints.gozdis.si/1617/ .
* News list referring to Forest and tree genetic diversity http://www.bioversityinternational.org/about-us/latest-news/news/category-news/forest-and-tree-genetic-diversity/
* A compilation
about knowledge relevant mainly relevant for production by the Forest Authority
issued February 2016 http://shop.skogsstyrelsen.se/sv/publikationer/meddelanden/kunskapsplattform-for-skogsproduktion-tillstandet-i-skogen-probl.html
* Forest tree breeding in Scandinavia and Finland http://www.skogforsk.se/contentassets/9d9c6eeaef374a2283b2716edd8d552e/the-status-of-tree-breeding-low.pdf
* A general actual description of Swedish Forestry which may be a good entry for foreigners http://www.ksla.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Forests-and-Forestry-in-Sweden_2015.pdf
* CFOP publicerar minnesanteckningar som är
informativa för de som är intresserade av skogsträdsförädling. http://www.skogsstyrelsen.se/Myndigheten/Om-oss/Var-verksamhet/Radgivande-grupper/Centrala-fro--och-plantradet/Dokumentation/
Universiteten representeras inte längre av någon skogsgenetik närstående, så
SLU-genetiken fjärmas från Skogsstyrelsen.
* Nebi Bilir was appointed as full Professor of Forest Genetics in division of Silviculture at Forestry Faculty, Suleyman Demirel University, Turkey. Applaud and wishes about for a successful and fruitful carrier!
* Analys av lövträdsförädling http://www.skogforsk.se/contentassets/d27e0681165b4f83ac0a18bf5efe51b0/lovtrad.pdf Some inspiration from Lindgren&Wei gene resource stands while low input breeding acknowledged.
* For a while I took an interest in wolf , as it seemed to be a campaign against the parliament decision, I felt a need to defend the Parliament. But I will not involve much again, if the situation seems reasonable under control in spring 2016.
* A study about
the advantages of different breeding methods http://www.skogforsk.se/contentassets/42acda01f83843bf925f690bd0a6ed37/best-practice-hela-low.pdf
* Gösta Eriksson and others have been productive in producing books after Göstas retirement, the latest appeared early 2014 Genetics applied to forestry. The books and texts can be downloaded from http://www.slu.se/en/departments/plant-biology-forest-genetics/education/forest-genetics-online/ But two years later it was not the last book!!!!! (see above)
* A book on forestry was published 2014 (Fenning editor) including a chapter by me: http://www.springer.com/life+sciences/forestry/book/978-94-007-7075-1 __
* Skogsstyrelsen har skrivit en rapport om klonskogsbruk.
I think it is very regrettable that the survival time of links is so low and does not increase. That is the reason it is very difficult to inform about interesting information by links. That indicates it is something wrong with our society.
Seed orchards_ Many entries also in Swedish, I believe seed orchards are very important
The seed orchard Västerhus web place got the information updated because planned visits, many results and intensive reporting on its plastic isolation tent. Västerhus can be seen as the most advanced seed orchard in Sweden in full production and it is the most recently researched Swedish seed orchard today .
About ”family forestry” thus mainly the use of offspring of a few plustrees for deployment to forestry, mainly by amplification through vegetative propagation. Mainly in Swedish, the first page is Swedish, but there are relevant English links:
IUFRO Seed Orchard Working Party I manage this very unofficially for the working party. However the future of the seed orchard WP seem uncertain and I will stop updating this site before end of 2015.
A report to FAO about Swedish Forest genetic resources has been prepared: http://shop.skogsstyrelsen.se/shop/9098/art74/14648674-c3c5ce-1851.pdf
__ Introduction (to TBT, but relevant for other parts of this web-site). Many of these tools do not work well now, but the EXCEL-sheets generally works.
Links I have found useful.
presentations I made or contributed to since my retirement 091001
Networks with forest genetic field trials. Warzawa 2010.__
Breeding Cycler Orleans 2009 __
Seed orchards in a warm Future. Hangzhou and Seoul 2010,__
__ Relatives in seed orchards and clonal mixtures Seoul 2010 __
Skogforsk issued a report to the government April 2010 in Swedish which is instructive about forest tree breeding. Dag Lindgren har utarbetat en del (bilaga 5 Genetisk variation) som jag gett en egen hemsida. Kanske detta avsnitt kommer att bearbetas ytterligare
Links to meetings Dag Lindgren participated in and offer some information about: Nordic cooperation ; China02 (Eucalypts), Iceland 03,__ Charleston 04,__ Komi 05 (Breeding Strategies),__ Antalya 06 (Low input Breeding), Poland 07 (Norway spruce), Umeå 07 (Seed orchards), Madrid 2008,(adaptation) Finland 2008 (Vegetative propagation), Hann Munden 2009 (zone delineation), Korea 2009 (Seed orchards) own contributions, Seoul 2010 (IUFRO World Congress), Opening lecture at the Turkey 2012 seed orchard conference.; _Turkey 2012 seed orchards; Prague 2014 forest tree breeding ;
__ Glosseries (lexikon) _
Jag tänkte en del över frötäkt och så småningom ledde detta till att frötäkt är tillåtet nästan överallt i Sverige! Frötäkt - bakgrund och tankar;
I retired 090930. I started to collect things happening when I got old, some were quite good for me! I started a page with directions for these different "memorials". __
I got the best possible retirement present a professor can dream about! That is to successfully mentor and collaborate with students resulting in good doctoral research. My student Finnvid Prescher will get the International Union of Forest Research "Outstanding Doctoral Research Award" at its world congress in Seoul 2010. At the word conferences 2005 and 2000 my students also got "Outstanding Doctoral Research Award!". It seems I have had the most gifted Forest Genetics students in the World for the past fifteen years! It also seems that the path of research I chosen has been the right in the opinion of the international research community.
After retirement I also took up other fields like dead following Tjernobyl, wolf http://vargdag.wordpress.com/ and the declining future http://downto2100.blogspot.se/ I also have a family blog with some links to forest genetics at http://www.allt2.se/Lindgren/
IT, webs etc.
Comments: IT is dynamic, rules, program, webmasters ideas, security constraints, links, administrative factors, and my own ideas are not constant over time and both IT-environments and I make mistakes sometimes. Thus, do not be surprised if things do not work. If something worked before it may still be at this web, try browsing. Do not hesitate to get in touch with me if in trouble. It is likely that I maintain this web and my email some time ahead; the University seems to agree a few years more.
Last edited 16-03-11